As an Expat in development industry, you have a choice who to work for. The industry is divided into these main areas:
- Non-Governmental Organizations
- United Nations Agencies
- Foundations who could be implementers or donors
- Government Contractors
- Government agencies
- Various multi-laterals
- or you can just be a consultant doing freelance work
- Volunteer organizations or programs such as Peace Corp or local church volunteer work
SO Which one?
All depends what sparks your attention but for most expats, you need to due proper diligence if it something that you want to do seriously for several years of life.
Ask these questions:
- What is the mission of the organization?
- Who is their team?
- Where will they send you?
- Do they have a security protocol in place if sending you in a conflict zone?
- How do they work in the field?
- Do they have the right set up at the field as far as your housing and logistics?
- Do they give you benefits such as having annual leave or having proper R&R if working in hardship places.