This saying is so dam true: ” If you think you’re too small to have an impact, try going to bed with a Mosquito.” By Anita Roddick
Having been in all regions of the world, mosquitoes can turn your night into hell. I remember those very hot nights of South Sudan with unbearable humidity and 100+ temperatures, and this is when the party starts. Everybody’s body reacts and functions differently but getting Malaria is not a funny business and can be fatal.
So, there are many questions and confusion about what malaria medications you should take or how to protect yourself while going on your mission especially if it is a long mission.
Here are some of the things you need to think about in protecting yourself from Malaria and Mosquitoes:
- First: Where are you going? Destination Please. Certain medication only work in certain countries as the mosquitoes have developed resistance towards them. You need to consult with your doctor or specialist.
- Second: Is your mission a long mission or a short mission? Because it will impact the rest of the decisions and will help your doctor to recommend something which will suit your needs and condition.
- Third: Do you want to take medication everyday or on weekly basis?
- Fourth: You need to discuss the Medication Type and their side effects with your doctor or specialist. For example, Lariam is known to give hallucinations to the users. I have seen it myself where I had to go for rescue mission of young teenagers who were screaming their hearts out and imagining evil spirits entering their rooms. Additionally, pregnant women have to be cautious on which type is permitted for them.
- Fifth: Time which you need to take your medication before the start of your mission and time which you need to continue taking your medication when you get back home.
- Sixth: Local purchase, No. Unless you have to. If you think purchasing it in the local country is cheaper, Think twice. I would be very cautious because a lot of medication coming into the developing world can be fake and can contribute to other unwanted side effects.
But, pills can not guarantee your protection so it does not stop here. You need below items too which are equally important in protecting you and I highly recommend them:
- 1) Mosquito net
- 2) Mosquito Repellent
- 3) Go away Bug clothing